The Society of Women Writers offers a UK Residency to a Female Writer
This residency is generously donated by our Patron, Emerita Professor Di Yerbury.
The residency is located in the beautiful North Devon town of Barnstaple. As a major tourist centre, it has excellent public transport and car access to the moors, famous beaches and very pretty villages.
Ann Beaumont was the Winner of the 2021 Di Yerbury Residency Award
Ann's residency has been postponed due to COVID-19.
Cindy Broadbent was the Winner of the 2020 Di Yerbury Residency Award
Cindy's residency has been postponed due to COVID-19.
Helen Thurloe was the Winner of the 2019 Di Yerbury Residency Award
Helen used the residency to undertake research for an historical fiction, currently titled Borrowed Milk. Set in Exeter, Devon in the 17th Century, the story concerns a married woman who is hired as a wet-nurse, to breastfeed and raise the child of a wealthy merchant family.
Valerie Pybus was the Winner of the 2018 Di Yerbury Residency Award
Valerie planned to consolidate preliminary research already undertaken in Devon and Cornwall in 2017, into the history and social fabric of these areas of England. Her focus was on the families that lived in the centuries-old mining communities, with all the dangers and difficulties that entailed. Her story West of Tamar, an historical novel set in the years 1910-1915 - a time of great change - revolves around one West Country family and the society in which the family struggled to survive.
Terri Green was the Recipient of the 2017 Di Yerbury Residency
The residency supported her writing and research for a novel set in Shakespeare’s London.
To Apply You Must Satisfy the Following Criteria:
- be a member of the Society of Women Writers NSW Inc for at least 12 months at the time of submitting your application and be a paid up member for the year prior to departure.
- be over forty-five (45) years of age at the time of taking up the residency.
- be available to spend a minimum of ten weeks at the residency.
- be a resident of NSW or ACT (proof required, e.g. copy of licence, rates notice etc.).
- be researching or writing a manuscript, fiction or non-fiction, set in or linked to and has its main focus in the United Kingdom.
- the work must be a work-in-progress, not an already or almost completed manuscript
Requirements (either hard copy or email attachment):
- a copy of your CV (no more than one A4 page).
- a summary of your proposed manuscript (500 words).
- a research and/or writing plan you intend to carry out in the UK.
- a chapter of a previous book or a short story or an article you have written.
- proof of your NSW or ACT residency
What is Offered:
The successful applicant will be offered accommodation in a comfortably furnished one bedroom apartment for over 55s in the town of Barnstaple, North Devon for a period of up to three months from June to September. Electricity and phone calls are included as part of the residency.
What is Not Included:
Airfares, including travel insurance, domestic travel costs and meal allowance, will not be covered by the residency. These costs will need to be met by the recipient for the period of her stay or she should seek funding from other agencies to assist with these expenses.
Upon completing the residency, the recipient will be required to give an address to the members of the Society of Women Writers (NSW) at its February literary luncheon in 2022.
A written report of approximately 1200 words is required for publication in the Society's magazine Women’s Ink!
- Must be a member of the Society of Women Writers NSW Inc for at least 12 months at the time
of submitting your application and be a paid up member for the year prior to departure
- Non-members of SWW are welcome to enter after becoming a member however same requirement as above.
Non-Member Relevant fees are:
- Full membership fee $50; once-only joining fee $15
- Concessional membership fee $40 (only available with a Pension card number); once-only joining fee $15.
2021 Di Yerbury Competition - CLOSING DATE:
30 October, 2020 (no later than 5pm)
ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE WINNER
SEND APPLICATIONS TO:
The Secretary, Society of Women Writers NSW Inc.,
GPO Box 1388
Sydney NSW 2001
or email applications to email@example.com (with all required attachments)